A very personal choice…
There can be confusion about what a funeral may cost. This is because you may hear different versions from all kinds of people – including well-intentioned friends and relatives, and even other Funeral Directors. As a guide, an appropriately organised funeral may cost anything between $4,455 – $20,000, or in some cases more. Yes – that is a huge range – but there are very good reasons for it.
The cost of an individual funeral will be determined by the family’s wishes, cultural background and religious considerations. In cases where the deceased has made prearrangements, then those prior wishes will also need to be considered.
Funerals are very personal things
The ideal way the cost can be properly assessed is in a face-to-face interview with an experienced Funeral Director so that all the options can be explained and understood. The Funeral Director can demonstrate what is involved and clearly explain your choices. However, ur staff are available to assist you at any time over the phone or via email. You are also welcome to call into one of our branches – we do recommend phoning in advance or making an appointment.
Some of the things that determine cost are:-
• Whether the funeral involves a cremation or a burial
• If it is a burial, whether it is below ground or above ground in a vault and if embalming is required
• The choice of coffin in terms of materials used and the extent of workmanship
• The extent of floral tributes, orders of service or other printing and visual tribute production
• The length, style and number of death and funeral notices placed in newspapers
• Charges made by celebrants and the clergy, vocalists, organists and streaming / recording services
• Facility charges made by operators of crematoria and cemeteries
• The extent of catering for post-funeral gatherings
• The quality of Funeral Director facilities including things like hearses, mortuary, chapel and viewing facilities
• The level of Funeral Director service offered – K.M. Smith services and standards are second to none
A funeral is a combination of 4 main components – each with an influence on cost – ultimately determined by a families choices:-
– A Funeral Directors Professional Fees
– Coffin or Casket price
– Fees from the Crematorium / Cemetery and Government Departments (eg Registry Office)
– Other disbursements (items that are paid by the funeral director to a third party on your behalf) such as funeral notice, clergy/celebrant, flowers, service booklets, music, video tribute, hire cars and so on.
Requesting an itemised quote from a K.M. Smith Funeral Director based on your choices, will allow you to see the breakdown of all costs and will also allow you to modify any of the inclusions to adjust the total funeral price.